iMovie, Apple's official video editing application, enables you to quickly create good-looking 4K movies. Professional movies and Hollywood-style trailers are at your fingertips by using iMovie for Mac. iMovie for iOS is also available, but it's less powerful than the Mac version.
- This is a tutorial for how to run iMovie HD 6 on Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan. IMovie Download (as part of iLife '06): https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/ilife-ppc.
- Get iMovie 10 via iMovie 9. It turns out that if you have iMovie 9, the App Store will allow you to upgrade to iMovie 10 without the normal checks. I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and the App Store just let me upgrade iMovie a moment ago.
- I ran into an issue today where I wanted to install iMovie on my El Capitan (10.11.6) MacPro, but found a really crappy catch-22: you can't install it from the App Store because Mac OS 10.11 is too old for the latest version of iMovie, but then there's no way to get the older version (10.1.6) of iMovie if you don't already have it in your purchase history.
- I have 4 Mac computers (3 iMacs and 1 Macbook Pro) displaying this issue with iMovie 10.1. The issue appears to have begun following the El Capitan upgrade, but just to add to the mix, I also recently migrated local accounts to domain accounts on all impacted machines according to the instructions found here on the SW forums.
Mojave is the code name for the latest macOS 10.14, which was first released to the publish on 24 September 2018, although version 10.14.1 arrived on 30 October and on 22 January 2019 version 10.14.3 bought some necessary security updates. Prior the launch of Mojave the most recent version of macOS was the macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra update.
iMovie 10.1.10 works perfectly on macOS 10.14 Mojave and 10.13 High Sierra. Download iMovie for Mac 10.4 Mojave for completely free.
For those who are using both Mojave and Windows, download iMovie alternatives for Mac and Windows here.
What's New in Apple iMovie 10.1.10 (latest version)?
- Removes the option to share video files directly to Facebook.
- Adds a new Prepare for Facebook option which exports a Facebook-compatible video file to your system that you can manually upload to the Facebook website.
- Improves overall stability.
How to edit videos on Mac OS X El Capitan with iMovie Alternatives? Step 1: Load video files to the program. Start iMovie Alternative for El Capitan on your Mac computer. Click 'File' 'Add Video/Audio' or 'Add from folder' to import source video files to the program. Step 2: Edit videos.
Requirements for Apple iMovie
- macOS 10.13.6 or later, including High Sierra and Mojave.
- Intel powered MacBook, iMac and Mac Pro.
What's New in macOS 10.14 Mojave?
- Brand New App Store
- Dark Mode
- Dynamic Desktop
- Screenshot App
- Favicon in Safari
- 4 iOS Apps in macOS Mojave
- Stacks Files and Folders in Desktop
- Gallery View in Finder
- Finder File Preview with Complete Metadata
- Quick Actions in Finder
- Edit from Quick Look
- Continuity Camera
- FaceTime call up to 32 people
- Insert Emojis in Mail App
- Privacy Improvements
Key Features of iMovie for Mac
iMovie is a fast and fun video making app that lets you create movies from video, photos and music.. It's ready for helping you to make a 4K movie. Then you can enjoy your work anywhere you want. Also, you can create a Hollywood-style trailer for sharing with your movie friends.
Make a Hollywood-style trailer
iMovie is the easiest video editor that provides you with professional trailer templates to choose from, including fascinating graphics and original soundtracks from the world's top music creator. After applying a trailer template, you can customize the film producer logo, casts and filmmakers in the 'Outline' view. Add and adjust videos in the Storyboard view. You're able to add existing content from your library, or record new video directly in the trailer.
Easily make 4K movies from themes
iMovie comes with lots of themes, each of which is designed with unique titles, transitions and background music. By using a theme, you just need to add videos and photos from your library, or shoot directly in the timeline, let your photos automatically play animations with Ken Burns effects, or create your own motion effects with two fingers. You're also provided with music and sound effects, or the songs in your own music library. It's also simple to add voiceover directly into your project to create sound tracks.
Basic and advanced video editing tools included
A variety of video editing tools are provided, like Trim, Split, Detach audio, Titles, Speed up/down, and filter effects. 4K movies made easy with these tools.
Download iMovie for Mojave Alternative
It's for sure that iMovie is a great video editing application. But it has its own disadvantages like limited input video format, occupying large storage space and limited platform support. It only works on Mac and iOS. For Windows users, they have to find an iMovie for Windows alternative. So why not try a video editor that works on either Mac or Windows? In such case, your movie making experience will keep the same no matter you're on a Mac or PC.
Movavi Video Editor is humbly recommended as an iMovie alternative for Mac and Windows. It was picked out because it's the video editor most like iMovie. Try it now for free.
How to Get Mojave Updated Automatically
Open System Preferences, click on Software Update, check the box beside 'Automatically keep my Mac up to date'.
How to Get iMovie for Mac Updated Manually
When the above Software Update dialog says that your Mac is up to date, macOS and all of its apps are also up to date. That includes Safari, iTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.
However, iMovie is not in the list. To find updates for iMovie, Garageband, Keynote, and other apps that came separately from the App Store, open the App Store on your Mac, then click the Updates tab. You can also redownload apps from the App Store.
For those who are using both Mojave and Windows, download the best iMovie alternative for Mac and Windows here.
iMovie for Mac Tips
To get the latest features and maintain the security, stability, compatibility, and performance of your Mac, it's important to keep your software up to date. Apple recommends that you always use the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
Learn how to upgrade to macOS Big Sur, the latest version of macOS.
If a macOS installer can't be used on your Mac, the installer will let you know. For example, it might say that your Mac doesn't have enough free storage space for the installation, or that the installer is too old to be opened on this version of macOS.
If you want to check compatibility before downloading the installer, learn about the minimum requirements for macOS Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, or Yosemite. You can also check compatible operating systems on the product-ID page for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, MacBook, iMac, Mac mini, or Mac Pro.
Make a backup
Before installing, it’s a good idea to back up your Mac. Time Machine makes it simple, and other backup methods are also available. Learn how to back up your Mac.
Imovie 10 Pour El Capitan
It takes time to download and install macOS, so make sure that you're plugged into AC power and have a reliable internet connection.
These installers from the App Store open automatically after you download them:
- macOS Catalina 10.15 can upgrade Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks
- macOS Mojave 10.14 can upgrade High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 can upgrade Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion
Your web browser downloads the following older installers as a disk image named InstallOS.dmg or InstallMacOSX.dmg. Open the disk image, then open the .pkg installer inside the disk image. It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system.
- macOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion
- OS X El Capitan 10.11 can upgrade Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
- OS X Yosemite 10.10can upgrade Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
Follow the onscreen instructions in the installer. It might be easiest to begin installation in the evening so that it can complete overnight, if needed.
Imovie 10 El Capitan 10.11
If the installer asks for permission to install a helper tool, enter the administrator name and password that you use to log in to your Mac, then click Add Helper.
Imovie 10 El Capitan Installer
Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac might restart, show a progress bar, or show a blank screen several times as it installs both macOS and related updates to your Mac firmware.
Imovie 10 El Capitan Alex Honnold
You might also be able to use macOS Recovery to reinstall the macOS you're using now, upgrade to the latest compatible macOS, or install the macOS that came with your Mac.